Director of People and Operations
While ACLU-SC is headquartered in Charleston, the position could be based anywhere within South Carolina.
Open Until Filled.
ABOUT THE ACLU-SC
The ACLU-SC works daily in communities, courts, and the South Carolina Legislature to defend and advance the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the U.S. and South Carolina Constitutions. The ACLU-SC is a highly rewarding place to work for those interested in protecting our fundamental civil rights and civil liberties. Founded in 1968, the ACLU of South Carolina has 9 full-time staff positions. To learn more about the work of the ACLU-SC and ACLU, please visit www.aclusc.org and www.aclu.org.
APPROACH TO ADVOCACY
ACLU of South Carolina takes an integrated advocacy approach to the work of advancing civil rights and civil liberties, meaning we deploy multi-pronged, multi-year strategies that include impact litigation, policy advocacy, legislative advocacy, organizing, and communications.
ABOUT THE JOB
Reporting to the Executive Director and working in close collaboration with the Senior Staff and broader ACLU-SC team, the Director of People and Operations provides oversight of each of the following major functions and their integration with each other, and alignment with the overall mission and strategy. The four major domains include: 1) Human Resources & diversity, equity, and inclusion, including the full life-cycle of employee experience, overall HR systems, integration of diversity, equity, and inclusion, 2) Operations, 3) IT Systems Administration, including through staff and outside service providers, 4) Risk Management and Compliance, including with IRS, state of South Carolina, insurance, safety, and other requirements. In addition, this position will manage the outside bookkeeper and provide support during the annual audit.
- You are an experienced people advocate and leader who thrives in a busy, mission-driven environment.
- You are a person committed to building cultures of belonging where all staff are and feel respected, valued, and welcome.
- You are a leader who trusts and inspires trust in supervisees, and also can share responsibility and authority with others.
- You have worked collegially on management teams and understand the value of inclusive, equitable leadership approaches. You work well under pressure, are personable and committed to racial and social justice in the work and interpersonal work relationships.
- Overall Strategy
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Senior Staff, serve as a principal strategist for building a team that is prepared and supported to realize our organizational goals.
- Develop equitable and reciprocal relationships with community organizations and networks and help advance the organization’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in both its internal and external-facing work.
- Human Resources & Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Provide big picture oversight of the management of the human resources program (including recruiting and onboarding program, employee relations, policy and procedure development and implementation, timesheets, benefits administration) and in the overall evaluation and improvement of HR practices.
- Foster a collaborative organizational culture within the team that encourages staﬀ development through internal and external resources.
- Provide leadership to integrate DEI goals in the full spectrum of HR practices and in the organizational culture and climate, by producing measurable and sustained results and improvements.
- Provide oversight of administrative, procurement and operational functions including property management, relationship with building co-owner, code compliance, and capital improvements.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems and education that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization including but not limited to identifying and facilitating/coordinating training needs (e.g. compliance with lobbying rules), financial matters (e.g. systems and structures around reconciliation and tracking expenses), etc.
- IT Infrastructure Oversight
- Ensure that IT infrastructure is aligned with organizational and staffing needs, including working closely with external IT managed services provider to strategize and implement IT solutions.
- Manage business technology decisions, purchasing and project implementations. Ensure information security is in line with ACLU-SC practices.
- Compliance and Risk Management
- Manage risk management, including MOUs, contracts, and other legal documents and agreement.
- Coordinate federal, state, and local reporting and compliance
- Identify areas of vulnerability and risk across the organization, including evaluating and aligning organizational policies, protocols, guidelines, and practices to be consistent with the compliance program.
- Develop and implement internal controls and conduct internal spot audits.
- Serve as principal liaison to ensure adequate insurance (i.e. employment, legal, board and officers).
- Ensure organization is compliant with all laws relating to hazard control and industrial health/safety – including with the organization’s continuing response to COVID and future health hazards, as well as physical security of staff/facilities, safety risk assessments and injury prevention programs.
- Finance and Other Tasks
- Oversee the contract finance/bookkeeping position and Program & Administrative Manager (though this position does not require finance or bookkeeping expertise), including their work to maintain the overall financial oversight for accounts payable, payroll, and credit card systems, ensure the accuracy of all accounts receivable and accounts payable processes, and maintain internal control safeguards for the handling of revenue, recording of expenses, banking, and payment processing.
- Develop and maintain relationships with staﬀ at the ACLU’s National oﬃce and state aﬃliate staff.
- Support the Executive Director in the development and maintenance of the annual budget.
- Support the Executive Director with board engagement and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Experience working with marginalized or impacted communities, grassroots organizations, and non-governmental organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to share authority and responsibility in high stakes, complex and fast-moving work environment.
- Deep experience in managing and administering organizations. This experience can be based in non-profits, for-profits, campaigns, or government. Successful candidates may have their deepest experience in any of the major functions of the position, but must demonstrate knowledge and familiarity across most of the functions, and must show overall aptitude and experience in organizational management
- Proven strong project and time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through, while balancing and prioritizing multiple activities and responsibilities.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to inspire collaboration, including success leading teams, projects, and people towards action through persuasion.
- Proven commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience engaging in creative problem solving and taking initiative, while utilizing a solutions-oriented approach and exhibiting flexibility and good judgement in a complex organizational ecosystem.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to make data driven decisions.
- Proven experience in leading effective teams.
The salary range for this position is $70,000 – $90,000. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not typically hire above the mid-point. Excellent benefits include generous paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave, 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for the employee and their partner and dependents, 401 (k) plan with an employer match, and life and long-term disability insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
Email a cover letter describing your interest in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above and resume. Email Information: email@example.com | Please write “Director of People and Operations” in the subject line.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of South Carolina encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, involvement with the criminal legal system, or differently-abled status.