The ACLU of SC is looking for a Finance and Office Manager. Join us on the front lines of the fight for civil liberties!
The ACLU of South Carolina is seeking a full-time Finance and Office Manager who will be responsible for ensuring the smooth daily functioning of the ACLU of South Carolina office in Charleston, including handling various payroll and accounting functions for both the ACLU of South Carolina (501(c)4) and the ACLU of South Carolina Foundation (501(c)3), working with outside vendors and contractors, developing and organizing office procedures and systems and providing administrative support to the Executive Director.
The ACLU of South Carolina – a leading non-profit, civil rights public interest organization – is the state’s guardian of freedom; working daily in courts, South Carolina Legislature and communities statewide to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the U.S. and South Carolina Constitutions. The ACLU is a highly rewarding place to work for those interested in protecting our fundamental civil rights, including immigrants’ rights, racial justice, religious liberty, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, and privacy. Founded in 1968, the ACLU of South Carolina is located in Charleston and has 8 full-time staff positions. To learn more about the work of the ACLU, please visit www.aclusc.org and www.aclu.org.
ACCOUNTS MANAGEMENT FOR BOTH THE ACLU-SC (501(C)4) AND THE ACLU-SC FOUNDATION (501(C)3):
*Develop and maintain relationships with finance staff at the National ACLU
*Maintain vendor files & required documentation for tax reporting
*Pay bills and requests for reimbursement
*Maintain a computer bookkeeping system to prepare deposits, pay invoices, issue invoices; reconcile bank statements, track credit card donations and expenses
*Work with an outside auditor, coordinate the preparation of all tax reports and annual audit
*File required reports, including Charitable Solicitation License and Lobby Registration forms
*Maintain income and expense reports for the ACLU of South Carolina & ACLU of South Carolina Foundation, and processing of income and expenses
*Monitor insurance policies (legal, building, etc.)
*Reconcile against national database and coordinate with accountant and auditor.
*Ensure timely completion of bank reconciliations and general journal entries
*Maintaining and documenting c4 to c3 sharing monthly; keep Executive Director informed about budget status and cash-flow for compliance within budget.
*Assist the Executive Director in preparing the annual budget
*Work with senior staff to develop specific programmatic budgets, including multi-fiscal-year projects
*In collaboration with the Executive Director or relevant senior staff, develop program budgets to be used in foundation grant requests; track foundation reporting deadlines; draft final budget reports on grants, communicating, as necessary, with relevant program staff to ensure high-quality reports
*Prepare reports for the Executive Director as needed, including reports to monitor the status of annual gift campaign, foundation fund-raising, and membership recruitment
*Maintain monthly contact with Board Treasurer prior to submitting quarterly financial reports to BOD for review
* Ensure an organized and efficient work environment for the office’s staff and volunteers.
* Purchase/ maintain office equipment including computers, computer network, printers, copiers and phone system.
* Assist other staff in the use of office equipment.
* Ensure the provision of office supplies; maintain & organize inventory.
* Maintain pre-paid bulk mail/periodical postage accounts and regular postage meter account (in-house).
* Act as a liaison with the landlord.
* Manage file storage and archiving procedures and ensure compliance with records retention and confidentiality guidelines.
* Facilitate communication among the staff by maintaining central calendar of office meetings and staff schedules.
* Facilitate the disposal of surplus ACLU-SC equipment.
* Monitor in-coming calls and mail and requests to appropriate staff for response.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
* Manage time sheets and submit to payroll service biweekly.
* Maintain personnel files;
* Manage health insurance (medical, dental, long term disability) and 401(k).
* Facilitate postings of new staff positions on various non-profit Web sites; maintain and build distribution lists for job postings; ensure that job postings are provided to venues that will help create diverse applicant pools.
* Orient new employees by providing employment policies and forms.
* Maintain contact information and signed confidentiality agreements for all staff, volunteers and interns.
* Report to National on human resources issues as necessary, including pension and salary surveys.
* Manage orientation of new employees (introduction to local and national staff and organization, provide training manuals and employment forms, review local and national websites and resources).
* Assist with non-legal volunteer orientation and maintain database of volunteer contact information and dates of service.
* Coordinate non-legal volunteer help for all staff-initiated mailings and special projects.
* Ensure staff/volunteer recognition.
* Update board member lists; produce, update and distribute directory to board and staff.
* Update and distribute the board orientation manual.
* Make travel arrangements and collect all staff-related reimbursements for Executive Director review.
* Provide support for Board-related activity, including meetings, trainings, etc.
* Maintain records of meetings minutes and attendance; and produce and maintain Policy Guide;
* Work with IT consultants to maintain staff and volunteer workstations, including upgrading software and hardware, troubleshooting and configuring for end users and ensuring the general day-to-day maintenance of the computer network, including coordinating e-mail server, anti-virus and spam filter upgrades;
* Ensure that the ACLU-SC is compliant with National’s technological protocols (donor/e-mail databases).
* Develop best practices for all IT related issues, including email usage, document storage and security.
* Administer users and content for the ACLU intranet (The Loop);
* Manage communications systems, including phones, copiers, fax, and printers, including procurement, maintenance and supplies.
* At least 5 years bookkeeping and office management/administrative support experience in a professional environment. Non-profit 501(c)(3) and 501 (c)(4) experience is preferred[U1] .
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures and their application to basic accounting.
* Proficiency with QuickBooks Non-Profit Edition and sophisticated computer and clerical skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
* Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines on concurrent projects in a fast-paced, occasionally stressful environment.
* Ability to develop effective organizational systems and understand the practices and policies that are necessary to help maintain a high-performing, employee-friendly office environment.
* Superior problem-solving skills and an ability to work creatively and independently.
* Excellent oral and written skills. The ability to communicate and work effectively with volunteers, staff, board members, and the general public. Attention to detail and superior proofreading skills are a must.
* Understanding of, and passion for, ACLU mission. A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and able to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary is commensurate with experience within the parameters of the ACLU of South Carolina’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include three weeks accrued annual paid vacation, 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance, 401 (k) plan with an employer match, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and resume to:
Susan K. Dunn
Interim Executive Director
ACLU Foundation of South Carolina
P.O. Box 20998
Charleston, SC 29413
Applications also may be submitted by email to email@example.com
Please reference “Office /Finance Manager” in the subject line and all attachments should be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications accepted until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard of this job posting.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
The ACLU of South Carolina comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina and the ACLU Foundation of South Carolina, in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. Both entities have the same overall mission and share office space and employees.