The American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina is a non-partisan organization that has worked for more than fifty years to protect the civil liberties guaranteed to all South Carolinians by the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. As we enter a new decade, we remain steadfastly committed to building on this legacy through our work in the legislature, courts, and communities across our state.
Below are the ACLU of SC’s key legislative priorities during the 2021 session.
Safe and Just Communities
We must prioritize community investments that will actually improve public safety and health, like ensuring all people have a roof over their head, comprehensive healthcare, a living wage, and quality public education.
- Eliminate Inhuman and Counterproductive Punishments - Legislators must focus on non-carceral approaches to public safety, diverting more people from entering our jails and prisons. During this global pandemic, it is even more imperative that lawmakers greatly expand opportunities for incarcerated people to be released earlier, both through a substantially re-vamped parole system and through measures that reward all incarcerated individuals who have demonstrated exemplary behavior and are deemed to pose no threat to public safety.
- Rein in Policing for Profit - Legislators must eliminate civil asset forfeiture, a law that permits law enforcement to take and keep your property without even charging you with a crime.
- Stop Tinkering with a Death Penalty System that is Broken Beyond Repair - Legislators are considering legislation that would make the electric chair the default method of execution in South Carolina. This legislation misses the underlying problem. South Carolina has a capital punishment system that is unreliable and arbitrary. It is unconscionable that legislators are debating methods of execution when South Carolina’s death penalty system is unreliable and arbitrary.
We must ensure that every pregnant person can make the best decision for themself and their family about whether and when to have a child without undue political interference.
- Prevent the Government from Controlling Private Healthcare Decisions - Legislators must oppose efforts to prohibit abortions after any embryonic cardiac activity is detected, which is usually at six weeks. Make no mistake, this is intended to ban abortion in South Carolina.
We must build a South Carolina where LGBTQ people can live openly without discrimination and enjoy equal rights, personal autonomy, and freedom of expression and association. LGBTQ people belong everywhere.
- Support Trans Athletes - Legislators must oppose efforts to ban young trans athletes from participating in athletic activities consistent with their gender.
Access to the Ballot
We must ensure the right to vote, which is the cornerstone of our democracy and the fundamental right upon which all our civil liberties rest.
We must ensure that laws and governmental practices neither promote religion nor interfere with its free exercise.
- Do not grant religious organizations a “get out of jail free” card for nearly any violation of any law at any time - Legislators must oppose legislation that would forbid the government, including courts, from imposing any “monetary fine, fee, penalty, damage award, or injunction” against a religious organization in connection with the organization’s religious activities.